Monday, January 20, 2014

Baked French Toast

I was looking for a recipe on line for a brunch get together I was hosting. I ran across this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. I have seen her show on the Food Network. Her recipes are not by any means low fat. She cooks for her family that work on a ranch ...yeah I don't think low fat low calorie foods would keep them going long. I had a feeling this recipe was going to be super yummy.
I read the ingredients and I could just taste the yummies.
Now you see I wrote "I read the ingredients" which is exactly what I meant I read only the ingredients went shopping got what I needed and the day of brunch I read the recipe.

To my surprise the bread was suppose to soak for several hours to overnight. My family was coming in two hours. I almost changed my mind and not make it. But I figured I would soak the bread in the egg mixture as long as possible before I popped it in the oven.

The recipe says you can either cut up the bread in cubes or tear it into pieces. I went for the tearing.
I thought it would give the final look a bit more texture. But I don't think it would make a difference either way. If you are preparing the dish the night before like I was suppose to I guess the tearing of the bread can be rather Zen like.

After the bread soaks for a while in the egg and cream mixture, you add the crumble top.

The whole this gets baked for 45 mins to an hour. The crumble top gets a little crunchy. Just spoon it out and top with powered sugar and a side of fruit.
You don't even need syrup with it. The recipe says you can add fruit just before the crumbles. I might just have to do this recipe again with peaches or apples. YUM

Here is a link to the recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/cinnamon-baked-french-toast-recipe/index.html

Thanks for stopping by
XOXO
Esther

No comments:

Post a Comment