Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Kale with Butternut Squash

I read on the newsletter from Food 52 a recipe for a kale salad that included roasted butternut squash. I personally am not to fond of raw kale but I do love it sauteed. I thought why not just add it to my cooked kale and see how it goes.
I cut up the butternut squash. Some supermarkets do sell the butternut squash already cut up for you. The advantage of getting a whole on is that they last longer. I had originally bought this one 2 weeks ago for another recipe I never made. In my experience the cube versions don't keep for long.  All you need is good sharp knife. How I usually do it is to cut the butternut just above the larger rounded end. That is where all the seeds are. If I'm being lazy I'll just chop up that end and toss it in my worm compost bin. If you do want to use the whole thing just make the cubes larger since the squash will be thinner once the seeds are removed.
Drizzle some olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Pop it in a preheated oven for up to 40 minutes. I turn them half way so they get browned on both sides. While that is cooking I cut up the onions.

Saute them in some olive oil until just browning and then add the chopped kale. If you are using the whole leaf  make sure you remove the stems.



I also add some chicken stock cover and let it steam for about 10 to 15 minutes. Once the butternut squash is ready toss it all together.

Boy was this good the sweet tenderness of the butternut squash pair with the chewy kale. I was in heaven.

It's awesome you stopped by.....Thanks!!!
XOXO
Esther

No comments:

Post a Comment