Thursday, October 13, 2011

Crispy Coconut Shrimp and Broccoli with Lime Dressing

I tried this recipe from my pile, this one is from Martha Stewart. It was totally awesome!!


I couldn't stop eating the shrimp. I made the recipe exactly as  written. They had a slight sweet favor to them and you could so taste the coconut. Without being overwhelmingly coco nutty sweet. The sauce I served was the Adult one with curry and yogurt. I used Greek yogurt because that is what I had in my fridge and I didn't have the Madras Curry called for in the recipe. I did find using the regular curry a little weak, wished I put more in. I'll have to make this recipe again using the Madras Curry to see if there is a difference. If you know the difference please leave a comment with an explanation.


 I served it with steamed Broccoli and a Lime Dressing and rice. I usually make my Broccoli sauteed with garlic and oil. I really enjoy this new variation. The flavor had a slight Oriental taste to it. Pairing itself with the shrimp perfectly.


The Shrimp were really simple to make and so very delicious. Other ways I though of to use this shrimp recipe is as an appetizer. My hints for make these recipes would be make sure your all set up before you start heating the oil. I started to batter the shrimp when I turned on the oil. At the beginning it worked but I quickly ran out of battered Shrimp and was rushing to batter more before the oiled burned.

It's awesome you stopped by....Thanks!!
XOXO
Esther

Recipes follow

Crispy Coconut Shrimp
Everyday Food, September 2005

Prep Time 35 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Yield Serves 4


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tail on)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 cups vegetable oil
Bottled sweet-and-sour sauce, for serving
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon curry powder, preferably Madras
Lime wedges, for serving (optional)


Directions

1. For the kids: In a food processor, pulse together coconut and breadcrumbs until coconut is in small pieces; transfer to a shallow bowl, and scatter a handful over a baking sheet. Set aside. In another shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg whites.


2. Toss shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Working in batches, dip shrimp in egg whites to coat completely; lift from whites (shaking off any excess), and dredge in coconut mixture. Lay on prepared baking sheet.


3. In a large, deep heavy-bottom pan, heat oil over medium heat until 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Cook half the shrimp, lightly shaking to separate shrimp, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 350 degrees; repeat with remaining shrimp.


4. Reserve half the shrimp for the adults. Serve remaining shrimp with sweet-and-sour sauce.


5. For the adults: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, mustard, and curry powder. Serve the sauce with reserved shrimp; garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

Steamed Broccoli With Lime Dressing

Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Yield Serves 4

Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds (1 large bunch) broccoli
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Coarse salt

Directions

1. Prepare broccoli: Cut off and discard tough ends of stalks, leaving about 2 inches attached to the florets. Using a paring knife, cut broccoli lengthwise into pieces. With a sturdy vegetable peeler (or sharp knife), peel away the tough outer layer from the stalks. In a large pot fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add broccoli pieces in a single layer. Cover, and steam until tender, about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together lime juice and sesame oil; season with salt.

3. Add broccoli to dressing; toss lightly to coat. Serve immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment