Here is the first one I did.
I call it a play on the BLT. The first step in the recipe is to marinade the tomatoes. I got to use some of the tomatoes from my garden. You will want to make sure you have really ripe tomatoes.It so added to the flavor. The tomatoes were so delicious I ate the left overs as a tomato salad.
The next step was to cook the pancetta.
I cooked it nice and crisp. And I cut up the Burrata. Just look at the creamy center. It's so yummy!!
Here is the sandwich all done.
This sandwich was out of this world. The flavors just melded together so perfectly. The creaminess of the burrata and the saltiness of the pancetta. The marinaded tomatoes just yummy, yummy, yummy. The only change I made was to put the sandwich on Italian bread vs the brioche the recipe called for.
Here is the recipe that originally ran in Bon Appetit 2007
You'll find burrata cheese at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores, Italian markets, and cheese shops.
- 4(3-ounce) packages thinly sliced pancetta (Italian bacon)
- 6(3- to 4-inch-diameter, 3/4-inch-thick) slices ripe Costoluto Genovese tomatoes or other ripe red heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2cup(packed) coarsely torn fresh basil leaves
- 6tablespoonsextra-virgin olive oil
- 2teaspoonsdried oregano
- 1/2teaspoonfleur de sel or coarse kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12(4 x 4 x 1/2-inch) slices egg bread or brioche, lightly toasted
- 18ouncesburrata cheese
- 4cups(about) baby arugula or mixed microgreens
- Working in batches, cook pancetta in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Place tomato slices in shallow baking dish. Add basil, olive oil, oregano, and fleur de sel. Sprinkle with ground black pepper and turn to coat. Let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Place 6 toasted bread slices on work surface. Divide burrata among bread slices and spread to edges. Top each with 1 tomato slice, then pancetta slices, dividing equally. Top with arugula. Cover with remaining 6 toasted bread slices, and press each slightly to adhere. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.